Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Birthday

"So, were you at the Formula I last night?"
The Q which I was asked > 10 times yesterday morning.
"No..pe..."
I was not there. Did not even watch the start and the first part on TV; missed the first crash and the safely vehicle. Managed to catch the last 12 rounds and witnessed the 2 Ferrari's mishaps.

I was at a family dinner - celebrating my __th birthday.

"Why do we celebrate birthdays?"
I'm not sure.
A mother feels for her child's birthday as on that special day a new entity parted from her body and arrived into this world.
My mother refuses to celebrate or even to mention her birthday for as long as I can recall.
I think that question may be good enough to be a MD thesis for psychology or philosophy students.

Many of us, who are not lacking in basic physical needs (with time to surf net, do gardening, beading, going to the gym/spa, holidaying, collecting cars, taking photos as hobby....), derive contentment from sharing and giving. Over the years, although definitely having aged in many ways, I have remained juvenile and naive towards my own birthdays, awaiting happenings, anticipating surprises and desire to receive....

It was a good birthday....





















with an e mail from a cousin from Australia,

plus a birthday cake,

plus SMSs from 2 very dear friends....

No comments: